Tuesday, December 22, 2009

They do make them the way they used to!


My wife forwarded this article from the NY Times entitled, "New Pipe Organ Sounds Echo of Age of Bach".  This kind of story gets me all confused.

The instrument at the new gig is an electronic Rogers.  And at the top of my wish list is a Hauptwerk midi set-up for the home.  This, coming from a guy who still calls these things, "toasters".     Fact is, I love the technology.  And, I enjoy playing an instrument at church (for once) with a decent console.  But I also have a deep appreciation for the artistry put into the real thing.   The Cameron Carpenters and Rogers salesmen out there will tell you pipe organs are extinct.   Purists will throw phrases out there like, "the real thing doesn't need to imitate".

Like any political spectrum, the truth is likely somewhere in the middle, which is where I'll stay on this one.  Yes,  I'd rather play a cathedral pipe organ.   But until I become a cathedral organist, I'll be happy with what I've got.

-LB       

No comments:

Post a Comment